Thread: Lithuania

Lithuania

as i have just returned from Lithuania, i decided to post some pics of it.
    i have been to Lithuania many times before, but unfortunately, all previous times i did not have a good camera with me
    so, briefly, Lithuania is one of the Baltic States, a nice green country with Vilnius as a capital, Lithuanian language as the official one and very tasty food. i am not going into politics, because i do not think it has anything to say about the country, so i'll just tell you of the cities i've been to
    - ganbaru -

oops, sorry, it seems the photobucket is not working now, so the pics will have to wait.
    - ganbaru -

Vilnius

ok, all seems to be working ok his morning, so i'll post some pics.
    i'll start with Vilnius, but there will be very few pics, which is bad, because the city is lovely, but unforutnately, the last time i was there with a good camera was the New Year 2006 and since the weather was -15C, it didn't feel like going for a walk

the Gediminas Tower (a part of the upper castle)

a bit of a close-up:

to get to the tower one can either take the funicular, which charges you not when you get in, but when you get out :

or walk up the hill on foot (this is almost the end of the journey):

and here are some view you can see from the tower (in winter in freezing cold )

- ganbaru -

Birstonas

Birstonas is the city i lived in at the time of my stay. The city stands on the river Nemunas and is, as i think, the loveliest little town ever.
    it has a castle, which is now being renovated, so doesn't have an access to it, but has a great hill one can climb up to get a fantastic view on the river.
    this is the house i lived in:

which is called "The Priest's House", because it belongs to the Roman Catholic priest and stands right opposit the church:

and many priests come there to serve messes and listen to music (don't ask me further details about it - i don't know them, unfortunately).
    anyway, the "Priest's House" stands on the bank of the river:

however, if you walk in the opposite direction, you will see the statue of Vytautas:

and right next to him is the hill and 188 steps will lead you right up (which was my morning exercise ) and from there you could see the lovely panorama of the river:

since the city stands on the river, there are lots of boats one can take to go fishing:

some have, unfotunately, drowned, but they still looked great:

and there is a little ferry you can take to get to the other side:

there were many other things in Birstonas, but for me these were the most life-assuring and important ones.
    - ganbaru -

Kaunas

Kaunas is a city about 40 km away from Birstonas and it is a city, which stands on the river and among lovely green hills. unfortunately, i did not have the time to go everywhere there, just the old part of the town, but hopefully i will do it someday.

the street, which would take you to the old part of the city, is called Laisves Alley:

i really liked this sculpture in the street, seemed like the guy was holding the whole world on his lap:

and it is a street full of shops, which are quite different from what we have here. the street is a walking zone and it leads right to the old city part, which is situated between two rivers: Nemunas and Neris.
    in the old city the houses date back to 19th century and here are a few pics of them:

here is the Town Hall, where wedding take place (we saw one when we were there):

next to the Town Hall is the monastery, some buildings of which were turned into a university:

what also belongs to the monastery, is an old church, which was used as a warehouse during the war and now needs lots of money for renovation:

it was a very discturbing sight to see church with windows closed with bricks and now icons inside:

after that, however, we went to a very interesting place - a place where river NEmunas and river Neris flow into each other:

here is Neris:

and here is Nemunas:

and here is the moment of the interaction:

some kids were there as well and they started throwing paper boats into the water and we could see the currents with them :

that was a very good moment for me to enjoy a perfect moment i'd say - not the boats, but a meeting of two strong currents, which quietly and easily flowed into each other to form an even bigger current.

i see my this trip has somehow been connected with water all the time, but i enjoyed it immensely - it gave me things to think about and grea moments to remember.
    sorry, i did not post pics of the parties we've had, but you can trust me the parties were both very tasty and fun
    - ganbaru -

oceanflower Guest
    What fabulous photos, Musi! Such a varied and picturesque country.

What beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation. I agree, Birstonas is beautiful; that picture set is my favorite.
    "Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"- Jurassic Park

It took me a while to load them all, but it was very much worth it! The places you've showed us are beautiful, but I agree, that church is eerie...

Here is a little update on Birstonas of this year early April morning

I do not know a more peaceful and serene place
    - ganbaru -

I love when the morning mist is on the water. So calming!

But in your earlier picture, "and here is the moment of interaction," I swear it looks exactly like an alligator is floating out there!!! A bit cold for them, I assume.

...For miracles, gravitating
    To earth, know just where people will be waiting,
    And eagerly will find the right address
    And tenant, even in a wilderness.

-Joseph Brodsky

http://thehungersite.greatergood.com...oGive/trs/home