Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    I went to see Awolnation a while back.

"Reality is for people who can't handle Science Fiction"

~You'll long for the heaven of hopes, but awake to personal end beyond the peace.~
    ~ ~ ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way ~ ~ ~
    /| ~ Love would have conquered all..... ~ |\

Made the trip to Sydney on Wednesday to see The Shins. They're in the country for Splendour in the Grass, the music festival up north, but I couldn't afford the time off work, the money and the stress to make it there. I was so, so happy they did some side shows They are probably my favourite band and I hadn't yet seen them. They did not disappoint. Very tight, great stage presence, and it was great how they just let certain songs go off on their own for a bit.

Now, who else is on my must-see live list?

I happened upon a concert on campus today in what is usually a dining area. It was Lindsey Stirling, who plays a miked violin while dancing, accompanied by a dance or dubstep track.

I love fun things with cellos, violins, and the like, so it was really a pleasant surprise. It was a bit like the group Bond, but with more dancing. She was cute and fun to watch - a pretty good performer. I was disappointed that I only caught two songs.

Apparently she got pretty far along on America's Got Talent a few years ago, but I don't watch that show.
    "Use your natural powers - of persistence, concentration, insight, and sensitivity - to do work you love and work that matters." - Susan Cain, Quiet

"[Y]ou are not too busy to write, you are busy because you do not write." - Wendy Belcher

I'm a little behind on reporting back on gigs, especially given how much noise I made about the Nine Inch Nails/Queens of the Stone Age double bill! I was still suffering from a bad flu (AKA, "flu of death") for that one, but it was absolutely worth dragging myself to Sydney for it. NIN were up first, and put on a great show - I hadn't had as much of a chance to familiarise myself with their music as I would have liked, but the live performance made me more of a fan than listening to the recordings could have done. Reznor has great presence and, combined with some spectacular lighting, I really enjoyed their set.

QOTSA were almost at risk of being a bit of a letdown after such a show, but they pulled off a tight set which included a reasonably satisfying survey of their catalogue, current and past. I didn't get some of my favourites, but more than I had hoped for. The new material was great live, although the best moments for me came from Era Vulgaris: Sick, Sick Sick, and Make it Wit Chu.

I'm definitely not a fan of the big arenas for music gigs, but I understand why certain acts choose to play them. I prefer a much more intimate venue - it'll be interesting to compare this gig to the Arctic Monkeys later this year, who we'll see in the same arena. This Saturday just gone we attended Lior at a nice, small theatre, only a few rows from the front, and it was lovely. He's a very charismatic, personable performer, and he always hangs around after the show to chat with fans. The Scientist has major fanboy moments over him...

Thanks for the report! I obviously don't like NIN as much as _object does, but I've really enjoyed the concerts I've seen, primarily because of Trent Reznor's stage presence. The first time I saw him in concert I was kind of like, "ohhh, now I get it."

I agree with you about preferring intimate venues.

And I still can't believe Kate Bush is going to be performing live in London!! This is pretty much the only time I've felt frustrated that I don't have extra money sitting around. Usually, it doesn't affect me, but I cannot stop thinking about the fact that Kate Bush is actually going to perform live concerts for the first time in over 30 years, and I won't get to see it.
    "Use your natural powers - of persistence, concentration, insight, and sensitivity - to do work you love and work that matters." - Susan Cain, Quiet

"[Y]ou are not too busy to write, you are busy because you do not write." - Wendy Belcher

Quote Originally Posted by margaine View Post
    Thanks for the report! I obviously don't like NIN as much as _object does, but I've really enjoyed the concerts I've seen, primarily because of Trent Reznor's stage presence. The first time I saw him in concert I was kind of like, "ohhh, now I get it."
    Yes, this is pretty much how it was for me!

And I still can't believe Kate Bush is going to be performing live in London!! This is pretty much the only time I've felt frustrated that I don't have extra money sitting around. Usually, it doesn't affect me, but I cannot stop thinking about the fact that Kate Bush is actually going to perform live concerts for the first time in over 30 years, and I won't get to see it.
    Totally bummer you can't get to see her - although going to London is a bit of an undertaking, really. Maybe there's hope that she will do more, closer to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Anise View Post
    Totally bummer you can't get to see her - although going to London is a bit of an undertaking, really. Maybe there's hope that she will do more, closer to you?
    Yeah, London is expensive all by itself. I don't think there's much hope! I think part of Kate Bush's not touring has to do with a hate of flying (or traveling in general? I'm not sure which).

I spontaneously went to an Apocalyptica concert last night - didn't find out about it until the day of. Very enjoyable even if I haven't kept up with their most recent album (listening to it now). They still put on an awesome show, and I still could stare at one cellist in particular forever. Sigh. Fangirling.

It was the fourth time I've seen Apocalyptica (twice in 2008 in NY, once in 2010 in France). I'm getting to be an old-time fan! It's nice to attend concerts of artists who you've seen throughout the years - you change, they change, but there's still music.
    Last edited by margaine; 05-21-2015 at 07:55 PM.