Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home haircuts

home haircuts

anybody have any advice or tips . . . _object's hair is quite long - like shoulder length , but it's kind of growing out, and it would look good if it were just trimmed a little bit.

He refuses to go to a hair cut place and says he will just keep letting it grow unless I cut it. Granted I like guys with long hair, but I think shoulder-length hair suits him really well, so I don't really want him to just keep growing it. And even though he is threatening to grow it forever, I think he wants it trimmed also. So all that said . . . I'm supposed to trim his hair. It's straight, it's pretty clear what length it ought to be. But even so, I've never cut hair I'm convinced I'm going to do it entirely wrong. does anyone have any experience in this matter?
    "Use your natural powers - of persistence, concentration, insight, and sensitivity - to do work you love and work that matters." - Susan Cain, Quiet

"[Y]ou are not too busy to write, you are busy because you do not write." - Wendy Belcher

Geez margaine, how brave you are! My only experience with cutting hair was a few times when my oldest son was little...and we ended up at the barber shop to have it fixed. It was trickier than I thought it would be.

A dreamer is one who can only find
    his way by moonlight, and his

punishment is that he sees the dawn
    before the rest of the world.
    ~ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Shadow View Post
    Geez margaine, how brave you are! My only experience with cutting hair was a few times when my oldest son was little...and we ended up at the barber shop to have it fixed. It was trickier than I thought it would be.
    pictures of me as a small child reveal my mother's not-so-great hair cutting skills. they didn't ever bring me to a hairdresser to fix it! she thought it was good! needless to say, I will not be asking my mom for advice on haircutting.
    "Use your natural powers - of persistence, concentration, insight, and sensitivity - to do work you love and work that matters." - Susan Cain, Quiet

"[Y]ou are not too busy to write, you are busy because you do not write." - Wendy Belcher

I usually cut my hair when I need it just angled and trimmed, but I need to go to my hair cutter to get it layered. Given that it sounds like he doesn't want something so involved, maybe I can help.

I think this should be easier since you'll be doing it to him, not trying to coordinate doing it to yourself in reverse through a mirror. First, wet his hair completely and comb out any knots. Then, I find it works best to get one of those cheap plastic combs they give out to kids on picture day (or if this is a regular comb, then just a regular comb works). Just so long as it has closely spaced tines. Are they called tines on combs?

Anyway, have him sit straight and face forward. Comb a section of his hair so you get it as flat as possible. Meaning, you want the hair to be as thinly splayed as you can easily get it across the comb. You don't want clumps, because you are pulling the hair slightly and this pulling affects the length. I don't feel like this is clear at all. Basically, when you comb the hair out, you want to be holding the hair as straight as possible so it isn't being pulled slightly to the left or right. Then, as you hold the bit of hair on the comb, use your scissors (as sharp as you have) and cut across along the edge of the comb (make sure the edge of the comb is actually straight and held straight). When you cut, try to use smooth, fluid movements and try not to tug the hair with the scissors.

Start out cutting it a little longer than you ultimately want it. This way, if you mess up, then you can just cut a little higher and you're not cutting it shorter than you want it (like the classic "mom bangs" that are half way up the kid's forehead). If you get it right at the longer length, then you can either leave it there and be happy you trimmed it, or you can try to go higher.

It also sometimes helps to put some of the already cut hair on the comb as well as the soon-to-be-cut hair. This way you can get a better idea of the length you're cutting to. Or, you could try cutting close to his body.

You could also try to butcher it so he just goes to a hair dresser. Really though, just keep in mind that it's only hair and it will grow back. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    You could also try to butcher it so he just goes to a hair dresser. Really though, just keep in mind that it's only hair and it will grow back. Good luck

Nice description, Jez! My stepmom can cut hair, but I have no talent in that area at all - despite her assurances that it's not that difficult. Her instructions mirror yours. I do cut my own hair, but it's a straight shot, all one length!

I'd be much better at achieving your suggestion, above

Good luck, margaine!

...For miracles, gravitating
    To earth, know just where people will be waiting,
    And eagerly will find the right address
    And tenant, even in a wilderness.

-Joseph Brodsky

http://thehungersite.greatergood.com...oGive/trs/home

Thanks Jez, that was really helpful. Your description was much more clear and useful than the instructions I was finding online (which were much more involved and complicated than what I need). Your instructions sound like exactly what I need to do. Now it's just a matter of actually carrying it out . . .

I cut _object's hair this evening. Despite Jez's good advice, it sort-of ended up shorter than I'd planned. but I think it's otherwise alright. and his hair grows rather quickly, so it should be longer in no time.

In principio erat Verbum

Just don't tell anyone else you cut hair.I did ONE friend's hair, it was sixteen inches long and she refused to go to anyone. I can tell you I sweated through the procedure cause she would have injured me seriously had anything go wrong. She only wanted one tiny inch off and perfectly straight across.
    Well, somehow all the other picky kids found out and it was a nightmare. Years later even , even in a different province I would come home at night just wiped out from my job as editor in a newspaper and there would be someone, usually a guy with difficult hair sitting on the steps waiting for me to cut his hair. tiring. just tiring.
    "
    I have been formed a comely person;although I am but little, I am highly gifted;Into a dark leathern bag I was thrown, And on a boundless sea I was sent adrift. From seas and from mountians God brings wealth to the fortunate man."Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by margaine View Post
    I cut _object's hair this evening. Despite Jez's good advice, it sort-of ended up shorter than I'd planned. but I think it's otherwise alright. and his hair grows rather quickly, so it should be longer in no time.
    That's great! I'm glad my advice helped. If your only problem is that it was shorter than intended, and this is the first time you've ever cut hair, then you did an amazing job! Congrats!